PAINE COLLEGE TRiO STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
What is Student Support Services?
The Paine College TRiO Student Support Services Program (SSS) is one of two (2) federally funded TRiO grant programs at the College, which had its beginning at Paine in August of 1973. Its primary goal is to increase the retention and success rates of a limited number of eligible students who are enrolled at the College. The TRiO SSS Program is designed to serve students who have academic potential which may not have been fully realized because of educational, cultural, or economic factors, or because of a learning or physical handicap. The Program provides opportunities for academic development, assists students with basic college requirements, and motivates students toward the successful completion of their Paine College education.
What is TRiO?
The Federal TRiO Programs (TRiO) are federal outreach and student services programs in the United States designed to identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds. They are administered, funded, and implemented by the U.S. Department of Education. TRiO includes seven (7) programs targeted to serve and assist low-income individuals, first-generation college students, and individuals with disabilities to progress through the academic pipeline from middle school through post-secondary education. TRiO also includes a training program for Directors and Staff of TRiO projects. Their existence is owed to the passing of the Higher Education Act of 1965.
What Services/Activities Does SSS Offer its Participants?
The Paine College TRiO Student Support Services Program has found that participants benefit significantly from a diverse approach, and strives to structure the students’ environment so that all facets work together to ensure success. The services and activities provided by the TRiO SSS Program are available to participants through the life of their Paine College education, and participants are encouraged to remain involved. These services include, but are not limited to:
- Individual and Group Tutoring
- Academic Advisement
- Individual and Group Counseling (i.e. Academic, Career, and Financial Planning; Self-Concept and Identity; Interpersonal Relationships)
- Cultural Activities (i.e. Musicals, Concerts, Plays – Local and Out-of-Town Trips)
- Workshops and Group/Club Meetings
- Peer Mentoring
- Scholarship Opportunities
Who is Eligible to Become a Participant of SSS?
Currently enrolled Paine College students who meet the following criteria generally qualify for participation in the TRiO Student Support Services Program:
- First-Generation College student (neither parent has earned a Bachelor’s degree)
- High Financial Need (considered “Low-Income” by federal guidelines)
- Documented Learning or Physical Disability
- Former TRiO Program Participant (i.e. Former Upward Bound or Talent Search Participant)
How do I apply?
There are two ways to apply:
1. Fill-out and mail back the TRiO Student Support Services application that was included with the Acceptance Letter you received from the Paine College Admissions Office (for new and transfer students – all students may not have received an application),
2. Come by the TRiO Student Support Services Office, located in the Mary Helm Hall (MHH) Building on Paine College’s Main Campus, Room 309. There you can speak with our Director about the Program, eligibility requirements, activities and services, etc. You may also receive and complete an application and other pertinent paper work
Student Support Services
Mary Helm Hall, Room 312
1235 Fifteenth Street
Augusta, GA 30901