(AUGUSTA, GA) – The Paine College School of Art and Sciences will host its 11th Annual Conference on the Harlem Renaissance. This year’s topic of discussion will be “The Harlem Community: Contemporary and Historical Enclave of Creativity”. The conference will begin on November 7-9, 2012 on the campus of Paine College.
The School of Arts and Sciences at Paine College is requesting proposals for the Annual Conference of the Harlem Renaissance. The 2012 conference will explore the contemporary and historical significance of the Harlem community. Conference participants will examine the critical role of the Harlem community and its impact nationally and globally.
Areas of examination include but are not limited to:
· The Apollo Theater- Present and Past
· The Studio Museum in Harlem
· Harlem Restaurants- Sylvia’s and Red Rooster
· The Harlem Globetrotters
· Democracy Prep Charter Middle School and Democracy Prep Harlem
· Contemporary and Historical Harlem Jazz Culture
· Patronage During the Harlem Renaissance
· Opportunity and Crisis: Impact During the Harlem Renaissance
· Intersections of Race, Class, and Culture-Views of the Contemporary and Historic Harlem
· Erotic and Exotic Renderings towards Misinterpretations of the Harlem Renaissance
Proposals/Abstracts are sought in three categories:
· Professors, independent scholars, artists and designers
· Graduate students
· Undergraduate students
Individual proposals/abstracts should be no more than 250 words and panel abstracts should be more than 750 words. A clear explanation of the significance of the presentation is requested. Indicate all participants, status (professor, independent scholar, artist, designer, and student), and tentative title/focus of the panel and/or individual presentation.
Proposals/Abstracts should be submitted no later than Monday, October 15, 2012. Earlier submissions are encouraged to ensure participation and capacity.
For more information on the Conference on the Harlem Renaissance, please contact Dr. Emily Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on Paine College, please visit http://www.paine.edu
Or contact the Office of Communications & Marketing at (706) 821-8322, (803) 524-3195 or Lsuggs@paine.edu
Photo Caption: Paine College logo.