Class of 2014 Protocol/ Important Reminders
Baccalaureate Service, Saturday, May 10, 2014
- Arrive for pictures no later than 1:00 p.m. in the Gilbert Lambuth Memorial Chapel.
- Attire for Baccalaureate: Cap (with tassel) and gown ONLY.
- Honor students should wear the honor cords.
Commencement Convocation, Sunday, May 11, 2014
- Line up at 8:00 a.m.; enter the HEAL Complex via the McNally Street entrance (i.e., corner of Druid Park Ave and McNally. Signs will be available). Use the entrance closest to the parking lot next to Druid Park Ave. Assemble in the corridor adjacent to the entrance. (Parking is available across the street on the campus of Paine College at the Security Gate entrance).
- Attire: full academic regalia; i.e., cap, grown, AND honor cords.
- When you receive your degree, remember to place your left hand over your right hand. Receive the degree with your left hand and shake with your right hand.
- Be on time for all events.
General Attire for Baccalaureate and Commencement
- Females should wear black or dark blue clothing under the gown with black shoes.
- Males should wear a white shirt with dark tie and black or dark blue pants/trousers.
- Shoes should be closed toe and comfortable as you will have to climb both stairs and risers.
- Flesh-colored hose.
- Keep jewelry to a minimum.
- No large earrings; “tasteful” studs may be worn.
Miscellaneous Information for Baccalaureate and Commencement
- Males should remove caps for the Invocation, Scripture, Paine Hymn, and Benediction (during Baccalaureate and Commencement). If in doubt, watch members of the platform party. (Caps should be put on prior to standing for the “Presentation of Candidates for Degrees.”)
- No chewing gum.
- No cell phone, pager, or other similar electronic device.
- No purse.
- Class pictures (for Paine College publications, etc.) will be taken on Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 1:30 p.m. Plan to arrive no later than 1:00 p.m. so that the picture session can begin on time. If you wish to be in the photos, you MUST be on time.
- Group pictures of the honor graduates will also be taken on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. This includes those students who are graduating cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude as well as the valedictorian and salutatorian. If you wish to be in the photos, you MUST be on time.
- For these pictures you will wear the cap with the tassel, gown, and honor cords, if applicable.
Cap and Gown Pick-up Dates
Academic regalia (i.e., caps and gowns) can be picked up at the Lion’s Shop as indicated below:
- Thursday and Friday, May 8 -9, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:30 -4:30 p.m.
- All “Senior Checklists” must be submitted in order to pick up your academic regalia.
- A picture I.D. must be presented to receive your academic attire.
- *Commencement and Baccalaureate Practice, May 8, 2014 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the HEAL Mandatory Arrive 15 minutes prior to practice time*