Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
Expected Start Date: As soon as a suitable candidate is found.
Date Posted: 5/27/2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled.
Position Title: Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
Reports To: The President
Terms of Employment: Twelve Months
FLSA Classification: Exempt
The Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs (P/VPAA) is the Chief Academic Officer for the College and serves as the second-in-command, acting for the President in his/her absence. The P/VPAA oversees academics and related activities and ensures that they are delivered efficiently and at a high level of quality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with the President as a member of senior administration to articulate the Mission and Vision of Paine College.
Develops and articulates the long-term vision and strategic plan for Academic Affairs in a manner consistent with the overall Strategic Plan of the College and priorities of Academic Affairs. In consultation with the President, oversees the activities to achieve this vision for the College and promotes and strengthens education and quality engagement in instruction, research, and service.
- Advises and supports the President on college programs, policies, and operations to ensure the success of the college; ensure that policies foster excellence, equity and diversity.
Provides leadership, direction, and management to the academic organizational structure of the College and oversees the roles and responsibilities of the major academic leaders within that structure along with program assessment.
Develops and fosters positive and productive relationships between the College and its various constituencies to include the Board of Trustees, the Augusta community, alumni, the donor community, as well as national college and university organizations and accrediting agencies.
- In consultation with the President, the chief financial officer, and other members of the President's Executive Cabinet, determines budgetary priorities and assists in the development of an annual budget for the college; administers the Academic Affairs budget once approved.
Oversees the faculty appointment, development, promotion, and tenure processes; collaborates with the Department Chairs to build the size and quality of the faculty as appropriate for fulfilling the mission of the College.
Leads the implementation of activities to achieve relevant goals in the College's Strategic Plan which affects instruction, scholarly research, and service elements.
Supervises the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs, Department Chairs, and Unit Directors.
- Holds oversight and manages the affairs of external funding under Academic Affairs to include, but not limited to Upward Bound (UB) and Student Support Services (SSS).
Upon request, represents the President as needed at events, programs, etc. both on and off-campus.
- Other duties as determined by the President.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Manages the budget in instructional and academic support areas.
- Upholds academic standards set by national, state, regional, and professional accrediting bodies.
- Serves as a member of the Administrative Council.
- Presides at meetings of the faculty.
- Serves as a member of the Committee on Strategic Planning and Evaluation.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of other standing committees of the faculty.
- Functions as necessary, in the absence of the President.
- An earned doctorate from an accredited university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education with appropriate academic and administrative experience. A minimum of 3 – 5 years of experience in academic affairs at the Department Chair's level or above with experience at the Dean's level preferred.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and human relation skills with the ability to work well with individuals at all levels in the college.
- Demonstrated experience in initiating and implementing academic programs.
- Knowledge of higher education policy trends.
- The ability to communicate effectively (orally and in writing) with all constituents of the College community.
- Commitment to the Mission, Vision, Core Values, and Strategic Goals of the College.
- Successful experience with the supervision of staff and the management of a multi-faceted program, including the documented ability to lead an effective academic management and leadership team.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- College or university level policy development.
- Strategic Planning experience.
- Understanding, appreciation, and commitment to fund raising and other external forms of support.
- Budgeting and financial management experience at the college or university level.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with professional experience.
EFFECTIVE DATE OF EMPLOYMENT
As soon as a suitable candidate is found. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Complete an application for employment online.
Submit the following materials to apply for the position:
Letter of interest that details the applicant's expertise and outlines the applicant's qualifications for the position; vita; three letters of recommendation; and all unofficial academic transcripts from institutions of higher education attended by the applicant. If hired, an original transcript must be submitted within one (1) month of hire. The candidate must also submit an acceptable criminal background check.
For specific questions regarding this posting contact:
Mrs. Troyline Griffin, Human Resources
Note: If hired, the successful candidate will be asked to sign a Certification Statement indicating that they have read, understand, and will respect the Faith Statement and the Christian Philosophy of Education Statement of Paine College. These statements may be found at https://paine.edu/web/about/about/foundational-statements.
Complete an Application for Employment online. Faculty positions may still require applicants to mail transcripts and other documents. See application for details.
For questions regarding this posting contact:
Office of Human Resources
Paine College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Educational Opportunity Institution.